Boat Insurance: What is Houseboat Contents cover?

If your vessel is a Houseboat, this option under our boat insurance policy can cover your contents (i.e. household goods, furnishings, clothes and other personal items) for loss or damage caused by various risks while on the vessel, including fire, theft storm and flood.

You can specify the sum insured for higher value items, and select a lump sum limit of up to £40,000 to cover your other contents. You can also select what level of excess you wish to pay.

There are various exclusions which apply to this option, such as there being no cover for theft unless from within a locked cabin or cabinet, or damage deliberately caused by anyone living on the Vessel.

The Houseboat Contents option is only available if your vessel is a Narrowboat or Motor Barge which is your permanent residence and which is used to actively navigate inland waterways.

The Policy Booklet contains full details about how this cover operates, including any exclusions or conditions. Existing policyholders can download copies of the applicable Booklet for their policy by following the guide described here. Alternatively, to download the latest boat insurance Policy Booklet, please click here.

Should you wish to start an online boat insurance quote, please click here.

Boat Insurance
  • Wide range of vessel types covered
  • Discounts for boating experience
  • Extensive FAQs
  • Automated pop-up tips
  • On-demand help pop-ups